In front of 200 and his closest friends and family plus thousands of fans in the grandstand and infield, Eugene Melnyk celebrated his second win in the Sandy Lane Gold Cup in his homeland of Barbados.
With a surge in the final strides, Sterwins defeated favored Rahy's Attorney by a head while breaking the Woodbine turf track record for 1 1/16 miles in the $154,688 Connaught Cup (Can-IIIT) May 24.
Ignored at the betting windows, Melnyk Racing Stables' homebred Sterwins rallied from last, shot through the stretch, and pulled away for a commanding 3 1/4-length victory in the $150,000 Ben Ali Stakes (gr. III) April 20 on the Keeneland Polytrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Little Mike Retired to Old Friends
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Borell Arraignment Set for Aug. 1
- Full Field Possible for West Virginia Derby
- Champion Tepin Will Bypass Fourstardave
- Connect Leads 1-2 Finish for Brown in Curlin
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa