In front of 200 and his closest friends and family plus thousands of fans in the grandstand and infield, Eugene Melnyk celebrated his second win in the Sandy Lane Gold Cup in his homeland of Barbados.
With a surge in the final strides, Sterwins defeated favored Rahy's Attorney by a head while breaking the Woodbine turf track record for 1 1/16 miles in the $154,688 Connaught Cup (Can-IIIT) May 24.
Ignored at the betting windows, Melnyk Racing Stables' homebred Sterwins rallied from last, shot through the stretch, and pulled away for a commanding 3 1/4-length victory in the $150,000 Ben Ali Stakes (gr. III) April 20 on the Keeneland Polytrack.
Most Popular Stories
- EquiLottery, AmTote in Strategic Relationship
- Heleringer Resigns as KEEP Executive Director
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- EVA Vaccines: What You Need to Know
- Red Pollard Seabiscuit Saddle to be Auctioned
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- Untapable, Tapiture Settle in at Fair Grounds
- New York Panel Announces Winning Casino Bids
- New Management for 2015 at Rillito Park