Robby Albarado sustained a wrist injury that will keep him out of action for several weeks and Corey Lanerie suffered a badly bruised thigh that will keep him out of the saddle for at least Sunday's mounts on a tough day for jockeys at Churchill Downs Saturday.
Stellar Jayne, ridden by Cornelio Velasquez, assumed the lead inside the final sixteenth of a mile – following a fatal breakdown by race leader Sweet Jo Jo – to win Saturday's $112,300 Pocahontas for 2-year-old fillies by 2 ½ lengths at Churchill Downs.
The Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) on Keeneland's opening day card Oct. 3 is likely to have a field of seven 2-year-old fillies according to track officials. The 1 1/16-miles, two-turn race has proven to be a valuable prep for the World Thoroughbred Championships.
Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith's Pomeroy was made the 9-5 morning line choice for the Kentucky Cup Juvenile (gr. III) and Padua Stable's Class Above was given the same listing for the Kentucky Juvenile Fillies by Turfway Park oddsmaker Mike Battaglia for Saturday's 10th running of the Kentucky Cup at the northern Kentucky track.
Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas won the $110,900 Debutante Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs for the record fifth time when his trainees Be Gentle and Renaissance Lady ran 1-2 in the 103rd renewal of the race July 4.
Winchell Thoroughbreds' Cuvee, who looms as a heavy favorite in Sunday's 102nd running of the $125,000-added Bashford Manor Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-olds, finished his major preparation for the six furlong race with a Monday work at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Sherman Says 'Chrome' Looks as Good as Ever
- Top Filly Princess of Sylmar Retired
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Big Gains Mark Keeneland Sale's Day 11
- Illinois Board Has Tough Call on 2015 Dates
- Undrafted Returns in Kentucky Downs Turf Dash
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends
- Filly First Winner for Line of David