Robby Albarado sustained a wrist injury that will keep him out of action for several weeks and Corey Lanerie suffered a badly bruised thigh that will keep him out of the saddle for at least Sunday's mounts on a tough day for jockeys at Churchill Downs Saturday.
Stellar Jayne, ridden by Cornelio Velasquez, assumed the lead inside the final sixteenth of a mile – following a fatal breakdown by race leader Sweet Jo Jo – to win Saturday's $112,300 Pocahontas for 2-year-old fillies by 2 ½ lengths at Churchill Downs.
The Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) on Keeneland's opening day card Oct. 3 is likely to have a field of seven 2-year-old fillies according to track officials. The 1 1/16-miles, two-turn race has proven to be a valuable prep for the World Thoroughbred Championships.
Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith's Pomeroy was made the 9-5 morning line choice for the Kentucky Cup Juvenile (gr. III) and Padua Stable's Class Above was given the same listing for the Kentucky Juvenile Fillies by Turfway Park oddsmaker Mike Battaglia for Saturday's 10th running of the Kentucky Cup at the northern Kentucky track.
Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas won the $110,900 Debutante Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs for the record fifth time when his trainees Be Gentle and Renaissance Lady ran 1-2 in the 103rd renewal of the race July 4.
Winchell Thoroughbreds' Cuvee, who looms as a heavy favorite in Sunday's 102nd running of the $125,000-added Bashford Manor Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-olds, finished his major preparation for the six furlong race with a Monday work at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Gun Runner Arrives at Monmouth for Haskell
- Dalakhani Pensioned from Stud Duty
- Favored Amis Gizmo Captures Prince of Wales
- Bradley Reflects on Big Day at Saratoga
- Old Friends Reports Death of Futural
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate