California star Nashoba's Key tries to find her winning form again with a change of jockey and a switch back to synthetic surface for the $300,000 Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita March 9.
Tough Tiz's Sis, a grade I winner for trainer Bob Baffert on Santa Anita Park's Cushion Track during the Oak Tree meet last fall, takes on five rivals in the $250,000 Santa Maria Handicap (gr. I) Feb. 9.
New York-based trainer Christophe Clement takes aim at California once again when he ships Naissance Royale and Meribel to Santa Anita for Oak Tree's closing-day $150,000 Las Palmas Handicap (gr. IIT) on the grass Nov. 4.
T N T Stud's Brazilian homebred Naughty Rafaela picked up her first graded win in the United States, wearing down the pacesetting Sweet Belle in the final furlong and going on to win the Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT) by one length Saturday on the Santa Anita turf.
French-bred mare Live Life returns to action Saturday when she will carry high weight of 116 pounds in the $200,000 Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT) for older fillies and mares at 10 furlongs on the Santa Anita turf, a race that in recent seasons was dominated by Megahertz.
Balance, winner of last year's Las Virgenes Stakes (gr. I) and Santa Anita Oaks (gr. I), could be sitting on a big effort in Sunday's $200,000 La Canada (gr. II) at Santa Anita with her second start following a lengthy layoff for trainer David Hofmans.
Wild Fit attempts to square the score with Balance on Sunday when the co-favorites for this year's Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) head a field of nine 3-year-old fillies set to contest Santa Anita's $300,000 Santa Anita Oaks (gr. I) at 1 1/16 miles.
Most Popular Stories
- Old Friends Cabin Creek Welcomes Be Bullish
- Smooth Stride Could Lift American Pharoah
- The Truth Or Else Joins Belmont Stakes Mix
- Lopez Family Faces Off at Golden Gate
- American Pharoah Jogs One Mile at Churchill
- Secretariat's Birthplace Named 'Historic'
- MarketWatch: McPeek on Yearling Selection
- Miss Temple City on Schedule for Royal Ascot
- Woodbine Plans Events to Send Off Loiselle
- No Belmont Stakes for Conquest Curlinate