Gulfstream Park announced a record $4.7 million summer stakes schedule March 1. The schedule will feature five graded stakes starting April 25 with the Miami Mile (gr. III) on the turf.
A nostril separated the top two finishers in Saturday's $259,500 Susan's Girl Stakes, the second leg of the Florida Sire Stakes series' filly division at Gulfstream Park, and it was a 41-1 long shot that got the nod.
When Stanley Gold saddled Sing Praises to win the Dr. Fager Stakes, the first leg of the Florida Sires Stakes series, the veteran trainer joined exclusive company in the annals of the series for 2-year-olds.
Team Valor Stables' Unbridled Belle turned in an uncharacteristically poor performance in the Louisville Distaff (gr. II) last out, but her connections say they are hopeful the 6-year-old mare will rebound with a big effort in the $125,000 Obeah Stakes (gr. III), a race that she won a year ago.
Both the Dr. Fager and Desert Vixen first-round Florida Stallion Stakes divisions for 2-year-olds at Calder Race Course produced mild upsets of favorites and round two comes Saturday in the $125,000 Affirmed and $125,000 Susan's Girl divisions at seven furlongs.
Alternate will try to turn it up a notch when she faces six rivals in the $175,000 Susan's Girl Stakes at Delaware Park on Saturday. The 1 1/16-mile race is the final local prep for the Delaware Oaks (gr. III), which will be contested on July 20.
Most Popular Stories
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Ashleyluvssugar, Texas Ryano Reunite in San Luis Rey
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement