A nostril separated the top two finishers in Saturday's $259,500 Susan's Girl Stakes, the second leg of the Florida Sire Stakes series' filly division at Gulfstream Park, and it was a 41-1 long shot that got the nod.
When Stanley Gold saddled Sing Praises to win the Dr. Fager Stakes, the first leg of the Florida Sires Stakes series, the veteran trainer joined exclusive company in the annals of the series for 2-year-olds.
Team Valor Stables' Unbridled Belle turned in an uncharacteristically poor performance in the Louisville Distaff (gr. II) last out, but her connections say they are hopeful the 6-year-old mare will rebound with a big effort in the $125,000 Obeah Stakes (gr. III), a race that she won a year ago.
Both the Dr. Fager and Desert Vixen first-round Florida Stallion Stakes divisions for 2-year-olds at Calder Race Course produced mild upsets of favorites and round two comes Saturday in the $125,000 Affirmed and $125,000 Susan's Girl divisions at seven furlongs.
Alternate will try to turn it up a notch when she faces six rivals in the $175,000 Susan's Girl Stakes at Delaware Park on Saturday. The 1 1/16-mile race is the final local prep for the Delaware Oaks (gr. III), which will be contested on July 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Ocho Ocho Ocho Cashes Jackpot, Now 3-for-3
- Take Charge Brandi Takes Down Delta Princess
- Honor Code Inhales Allowance Foes in Return
- Three Hearts Breaks Through in Red Carpet
- Sunbean in Hand for Easy Delta Mile Victory
- Sinatra Leaving Parx to Take MJC Position
- Lubash Looks Like a Million in Tropical Turf
- Del Mar Employee Honored for Heroic Action
- Mahoning Valley Opens Inaugural Meet Nov. 24
- Cardinal Handicap Falls to Strike Charmer