A nostril separated the top two finishers in Saturday's $259,500 Susan's Girl Stakes, the second leg of the Florida Sire Stakes series' filly division at Gulfstream Park, and it was a 41-1 long shot that got the nod.
When Stanley Gold saddled Sing Praises to win the Dr. Fager Stakes, the first leg of the Florida Sires Stakes series, the veteran trainer joined exclusive company in the annals of the series for 2-year-olds.
Team Valor Stables' Unbridled Belle turned in an uncharacteristically poor performance in the Louisville Distaff (gr. II) last out, but her connections say they are hopeful the 6-year-old mare will rebound with a big effort in the $125,000 Obeah Stakes (gr. III), a race that she won a year ago.
Both the Dr. Fager and Desert Vixen first-round Florida Stallion Stakes divisions for 2-year-olds at Calder Race Course produced mild upsets of favorites and round two comes Saturday in the $125,000 Affirmed and $125,000 Susan's Girl divisions at seven furlongs.
Alternate will try to turn it up a notch when she faces six rivals in the $175,000 Susan's Girl Stakes at Delaware Park on Saturday. The 1 1/16-mile race is the final local prep for the Delaware Oaks (gr. III), which will be contested on July 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Wonder Gal Seeks Rebound in Frizette Stakes
- Champagne Stakes is Next Step for I Spent It
- Bustin It Heads New York Breeders' Futurity
- Wicked Strong to Sit Out Rest of Year
- Thoroughbred Makeover is Bigger, Interactive
- Classy Yanks vs. Euro Invaders in Hill Prince
- Wise Dan Faces Stiff Shadwell Turf Mile Test
- Sea The Stars Filly Tops Day 2 of Orby Sale
- New England Horsemen Submit Dates Application
- Small Foal Crops Will Challenge Racing