With its return to dirt racing this fall, Keeneland hopes to hear that greeting--cue Eric Clapton--from more horsemen interested in prepping their top starters for main-track races in this year's Breeders' Cup. blog
Watch the installation of the new Keeneland dirt racing surface at Keeneland in Lexington, Kentucky. Video Courtesy of Keeneland
When Del Mar and Keeneland host their first Breeders' Cup World Championships, the two tracks will both be relying on relatively new dirt surfaces as their main tracks.
A FREE Download highlighted by runners coming off synthetic, turf starts. Download Now
Live racing returns Oct. 31 at Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course after the racing track was closed in September amid alleged surface issues.
- By Tracy Gantz
Oak Tree's opening day, Sept. 24, brought sweltering temperatures back to Southern California, almost as if by design to test the new Pro-Ride synthetic surface. The surface heated up, but after the day's six races over it (the other three being on turf), reviews were generally optimistic.
Turfway Park will be the first racetrack in North America to install a Polytrack surface on its main track, Turfway president Bob Elliston announced April 27 at a press conference at Keeneland.
River Downs, which will open for its 80th season Friday, has installed a new racing surface on its main track that is expected to better withstand the rigors of live racing during the summer months and require less daily maintenance.
Newbury, one of Britain's most prominent racecourses, has announced plans for a 15-furlong all-weather (dirt) course with five and six-furlong straight races and a chute for contests over seven furlongs and a mile.
Most Popular Stories
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Quality Over Quantity in Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Catalog
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Society's Chairman Continues Beating the Odds
- Arrogate Unanimous Top Choice in NTRA Poll