Trainer Mike Mitchell says he's not worried about the unusual 1 5/8-mile distance of the first $100,000 Gallant Man Handicap June 1, and with good reason. After all, his horse, Big Booster, recently proved a convincing winner of the the even longer San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT).
Jack's Wild, a 5-year-old gelding ridden by Brice Blanc, stormed from dead last after six furlongs to end a 14-race losing streak when victorious in Sunday's $110,400 Crystal Water Handicap on the Santa Anita grass.
Even-money choice T.H. Approval reinforced his status as California's leading long distance turf horse when he circled the field on the final turn and surged to victory in the $250,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) at 11 furlongs Sunday.
T.H. Approval, a two-time winner of the San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IIT), heads a field of 10 Sunday in the $250,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 3/8 miles on the Jimmy Durante Turf Course.
After winning million-dollar races in his last two starts, Lava Man successfully took on another challenge Sunday, shifting to turf and winning the $150,000 TVG Khaled Stakes at Hollywood Park in course record time of 1:44.26 for nine furlongs.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Trainer Baird Reaches Win 2,000
- Malibu Moon, Tapit Colts Could Shine at F-T
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill