Officials at Sunland Park Racetrack & Casino are working to curtail an outbreak of equine herpesvirus that has resulted in 64 horses testing positive, including six that have died, and could impact the track's premier race.
Delta Downs Racetrack Casino & Hotel Feb. 8 said it will ban horses from New Mexico and Arizona due to the recent outbreak of equine herpesvirus in those states.
Turf Paradise in Arizona is the second racetrack in the Southwest to enact a quarantine because of equine herpesvirus. Live racing continues at the Phoenix track, though no horses may enter or leave the grounds.
Sunland Park Racetrack & Casino in New Mexico has suspended live racing for at least 14 days in the wake of confirmation of neurotropic equine herpesvirus in five racehorses.
Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert will be seeking to add to his four victories in the Sunland Park Oaks when he sends impressive maiden winner Midnight Lucky in the $200,000 race March 24 at Sunland Park Racetrack & Casino.
Daddy Nose Best proved his versatility once again when he ran down local hope Isn't He Clever in the final strides to claim the $800,000 Sunland Derby (gr. III) in New Mexico March 25.
It nearly was for Peachtree Stable and trainer Bob Baffert March 25 when Princess Arabella ran off to win the Sunland Park Oaks at Sunland Park Racetrack & Casino by eight lengths while never tested.
Jockey Kelsi Purcell is recovering from injuries sustained when she was thrown from her mount in Sunland Park Racetrack & Casino's first race Feb. 13.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Tepin Will Bypass Fourstardave
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Ortiz Lands 1,000th Win in John Morrisey
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa
- Sunday Silence Dominates Broodmare Sires
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- A Longshot in the Vanderbilt Handicap
- Mountaineer's Leading Trainer Suspended
- Alsvid Takes on Lord Nelson in Bing Crosby