Brittlyn Stable's Sunbean returned to Louisiana-bred company in winning style, nosing out String King in the $150,000 Louisiana Champions Day Classic at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots.
Charles Smith homebred String King, who has registered all seven of his stakes victories on turf, will switch to the main track for a start in the $150,000 Louisiana Champions Day Classic Dec. 14 at Fair Grounds.
Holiday Mischief, tracking odds-on favorite Sunbean all the way, collared the leader in the final strides for a head victory in a 16-1 upset in the $100,000 Super Derby Prelude Stakes Aug. 3 at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Uncaptured returns to the home of his Kentucky Jockey Club (gr. II) victory in hopes of also returning to winning ways in the $100,000 Matt Winn Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs June 15.
The April 20 Coolmore Lexington (gr. III) offers 20 points and a potential place in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) starting gate, but not all contenders in the last-minute prep will aim for the first Saturday in May.
Withers Stakes (gr. III) winner Revolutionary heads a group of 13 sophomores considered probable for the 100th running of the Louisiana Derby (gr. II) at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots March 30.
With a $400,000 purse and some major points along the Kentucky Derby Trail, the Risen Star Stakes at Fair Grounds has attracted an overflow field of 15 3-year-olds headed by grade III winners Oxbow and Circle Unbroken.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong