In a racing oddity, there were 18 claims for five of the six starters in Wednesday's first race at Santa Anita, a $20,000 claiming event at 1 1/16 miles.
Patrick Valenzuela urged everything he could from Chester's Choice, dramatically nipping Julie Krone and Woke Up Dreamin by a nose at the wire in a match race at Del Mar Sunday that exceeded everyone's expectations.
Jockey Patrick Valenzuela will start from the rail aboard Summer Mayberry's Chester's Choice and Julie Krone will be aboard Bob Baffert's Woke Up Dreamin in Sunday's "Battle of the Sexes" match race at Del Mar.
Woke Up Dreamin, a 3-year-old colt by Holy Bull owned by Mike Pegram and trained by Bob Baffert, will replace the injured Oopstheregoes as one of the two horses set for Sunday's match race pitting leading Del Mar riders Julie Krone and Patrick Valenzuela.
Happy, cheerful Julie Krone may never match the intensity of Patrick Valenzuela, but as the Sept. 7 "Battle of the Sexes" match race between Del Mar's leading riders draws closer, the bubbly Krone doesn't need to convince anyone of her winning desire.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Moro Tap to Double Infinity Ranch in Texas
- Somber Mood Hangs Over Suffolk Downs
- Artemis Agrotera Heads Gallant Bloom
- Miss Behaviour Targets Charles Town Oaks
- Fair Grounds to Withhold Millions from Purses
- Is PA Derby Best Spot for 'Chrome'?
- HRRN Programming on New SiriusXM Channels
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- No Dice for Massachusetts Racing, Breeding