The Calder racing season hits high gear Saturday with the track's first of two Grand Slam stakes programs. Band Is Passing, Babae, Two Item Limit, Volga and Tour Of The Cat are among the marquee names that will run in the four stakes worth $100,000 each, three of them graded events.
Two of the country's top female sprinters are slated to square off in Saturday's grade II Princess Rooney.
England's Rose rallied from last to win the seven-furlong $100,000 Chaposa Springs Handicap (gr. III) by 1 1/2 lengths over heavy favorite Swept Away Saturday at Calder Race Course. The longest shot on the board at nearly 17-1, England's Rose paid $35, $6.60, and $2.10 and stopped the timer in 1:24.82.
Most Popular Stories
- Story to Tell, La Grange Win Juvenile Stakes
- Ortiz, Castellano Finish in Tie at Belmont
- New Journeyman Cabrera Wins Lone Star Title
- Wildcat Red Posts Bullet Breeze for Haskell
- Initial Win Noted for Louisiana Sire Orthodox
- No Catching Unspurned in Bison City Stakes
- A Conversation With Michael Straight
- Gallante Shocks Soggy Grand Prix de Paris
- Apprentice LaRicci Tallies With First Mount
- Positive Outlook for Fasig-Tipton Yearlings