The Calder racing season hits high gear Saturday with the track's first of two Grand Slam stakes programs. Band Is Passing, Babae, Two Item Limit, Volga and Tour Of The Cat are among the marquee names that will run in the four stakes worth $100,000 each, three of them graded events.
Two of the country's top female sprinters are slated to square off in Saturday's grade II Princess Rooney.
England's Rose rallied from last to win the seven-furlong $100,000 Chaposa Springs Handicap (gr. III) by 1 1/2 lengths over heavy favorite Swept Away Saturday at Calder Race Course. The longest shot on the board at nearly 17-1, England's Rose paid $35, $6.60, and $2.10 and stopped the timer in 1:24.82.
Most Popular Stories
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- Frac Daddy Inherits San Diego's Favorite Role
- Bing Crosby Attracts Goldencents, Declassify
- Candy Boy Among 47 West Virginia Derby Noms
- Pants On Fire Seeks Monmouth Cup Repeat
- Tonalist, Wicked Strong Headline Jim Dandy
- Keeneland Begins Installation of Dirt Surface
- Flashy American Wheels Back for Shuvee 'Cap
- Monmouth-Winning Fillies Target Molly Pitcher