The Calder racing season hits high gear Saturday with the track's first of two Grand Slam stakes programs. Band Is Passing, Babae, Two Item Limit, Volga and Tour Of The Cat are among the marquee names that will run in the four stakes worth $100,000 each, three of them graded events.
Two of the country's top female sprinters are slated to square off in Saturday's grade II Princess Rooney.
England's Rose rallied from last to win the seven-furlong $100,000 Chaposa Springs Handicap (gr. III) by 1 1/2 lengths over heavy favorite Swept Away Saturday at Calder Race Course. The longest shot on the board at nearly 17-1, England's Rose paid $35, $6.60, and $2.10 and stopped the timer in 1:24.82.
Most Popular Stories
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Engaging On-Track Fans With Social Games
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Paulick Presented With Bergstein Award
- Genetics Behind Horses' Face and Leg Markings Studied
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Bringing Precision to Track Maintenance
- Lucayan Well-Spotted in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29