The New England horsemen who are attempting to lease the recently closed Suffolk Downs and bring back live racing next year will be represented by a new board of directors of their chapter of the HBPA.
Carl Gambardella, the all-time leading rider in New England, hadn't been back to Suffolk Downs in four years but wanted to be on hand for the last day of the meet, as it is slated to be the 79-year-old track's last.
The New England Horseman's Benevolent and Protective Association submitted an application Oct. 1 to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission to conduct a live meet at Suffolk Downs next year.
There may be a reprieve for live racing at Suffolk Downs even though the track's ownership group announced that they would not apply for dates in 2015.
As live racing at Suffolk Downs winds down for the season, and likely forever, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission is seeking options for the continuation of Thoroughbred racing in the state.
As live racing draws to a close at Suffolk Downs, track officials are extending the meet by one day so that the 79-year-old track where Hall of Famers Seabiscuit, Whirlaway, John Henry, Skip Away and Cigar once raced.
A Suffolk Downs executive told horsemen Sept. 20 the track would listen to any viable plans formulated by the New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association to continue racing.
The owners of the Brockton Fairgrounds have stepped up to offer the Thoroughbred horsemen of Massachusetts a home after Suffolk Downs came up short in its casino quest and will soon be closed.
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission said Sept. 18 it will offer help for soon to be unemployed Suffolk Downs workers and racing industry stakeholders, but the words rang hollow for the track's chief operating officer.
Tough decisions lie ahead for the horsemen and workers of the Boston-area track, which is expected to shut down permanently in December.
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission said no dice to the state's Thoroughbred racing and breeding industry when it cast a preliminary 3-1 vote Sept. 16 in favor of awarding the sole Boston area casino license to Wynn Resorts.
The Massachusetts Thoroughbred racing and breeding industry was dealt a devastating blow when the Massachusetts Gaming Commission decided to award the sole Boston-area casino license to Wynn Resorts.
The Thoroughbred industry in Massachusetts will receive the lion's share of future expanded gaming revenue to be collected and allocated by the Race Horse Development Fund.
Horsemen and Suffolk Downs employees took advantage of their final opportunity to speak in support of a casino at the track during a Massachusetts Gaming Commission hearing Aug. 11.
The Horse Racing Committee of the Massachusetts Gaming Commission decided Aug. 5 to stick with the allocation percentage it voted on at its previous meeting.
Jessica Paquette, senior director of communications at Suffolk Downs, wears many hats in her role at the track and now she can add race-calling to the long list.
Development plans are starting on the non-casino side of the racetrack property. Any improvements are still contingent on Suffolk Downs' casino partner, Mohegan Sun, being granted a gaming license.
Bio-security measures and protocols to stop the spread of the contagious disease, which can cause respiratory distress, neurological disease, and death, had been in place since June 9.
The future of live Thoroughbred racing in New England became cloudier June 24 after the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled that a referendum to repeal the state's casino law may appear on the November ballot.
Following the recent death of one horse stabled at Suffolk Downs from equine herpes myelitis, no horses are being allowed to leave the track, though no official quarantine has been imposed.
The 2014 meet at Suffolk Downs will be extended through Sept. 29 but the number of live racing days will decrease, according to a new agreement reached between track management and the New England HBPA.
Massachusetts is the first U.S. racing authority to endorse horse safety and welfare guidelines from the International Group of Specialists Racing Veterinarians.
Firefighters battled a three-alarm fire in the track kitchen building at Suffolk Downs April 29.
As Suffolk Downs prepares to open its 2014 meet May 3, a heavy cloud of uncertainty about the future of live racing hangs over the sole surviving Thoroughbred racetrack in New England.
New England horsemen voice their support for the proposed $1.3 billion Mohegan Sun casino development at Suffolk Downs at a public hearing March 25.
The New Hampshire House of Representatives, which has killed every piece of casino legislation in modern times, again rejected expanded gambling March 13 by a vote of 173-144.
The struggling Massachusetts harness racing industry received a huge boost Feb. 27 when the Massachusetts Gaming Commission selected Penn National Gaming proposal to build a slots parlor at Plainridge Race Course.
Voters in Revere, Mass., overwhelmingly backed Suffolk Downs and gaming partner Mohegan Sun in their plan to develop a world-class destination resort casino on the grounds of the 79-year-old track.
An agreement between the New England Horsemen's Benevolent & Protective Association and the management of Suffolk Downs on a conditional deal for the 2014 meet was reached Feb. 22, but terms must still be decided.
A New Hampshire Senate committee voted 4-1 to recommend passage of a bill that would allow the state to authorize two casinos. But the bill will be tabled while the House considers any expansion of gambling.
The head of Mohegan Sun said Jan. 22 live Thoroughbred racing will be preserved at Suffolk Downs should the gaming giant prove successful in winning the sole destination resort casino designated for the Boston area.
The Boston Marathon bombings last April were rated by many news organizations as the top story of 2013, and now the New England connections of two 3-year-old colts have named them in tribute to the victims.
Suffolk Downs said Jan. 9 it is committed to live racing should its new partner, Mohegan Sun, win the license to build a casino on track property.
Mohegan Sun has submitted its final application to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission for a license to build a destination resort casino on land owned by Suffolk Downs.
The Revere, Mass., city council has set Feb. 25, 2014, as the date for a referendum election on the city's host community agreement with Mohegan Sun for a proposed $1 billion casino at Suffolk Downs racetrack.
Mohegan Sun and Revere, Mass., said Dec. 23 they have reached a host community agreement that would guarantee the city between $25 million and $30 million in revenue per year from a proposed casino at Suffolk Downs.
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission Dec. 10 decided that another referendum must be held in the city of Revere on a proposed $1 billion casino for Suffolk Downs and partner Mohegan Sun.
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission decided on Dec. 3 to defer until next week a ruling on whether Suffolk Downs and new partner Mohegan Sun can legally relocate a casino resort project to the city of Revere.
Suffolk Downs remained in the running for a casino license with the Nov. 27 announcement it has reached an agreement with Mohegan Sun, which operates gaming facilities in Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
Suffolk Downs was granted a racing license Nov. 14 for 2014 based on its intent to offer live Thoroughbred racing.
Suffolk Downs received a recommendation that its request for 100 days of racing be approved for 2014, but a track official said there are "variables" that could complicate matters.
Suffolk Downs hasn't abandoned its pursuit of a resort casino even though East Boston voters rejected the plan by a hefty margin in a Nov. 5 referendum.
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission Oct. 29 ruled Suffolk Downs suitable to pursue a license for a destination resort casino.
Suffolk Downs Oct. 24 released details of a $40 million "racing improvement plan" tied to its bid for a destination casino license. Officials held a press conference at Indian Rock Stables, a Thoroughbred breeding farm.
Just days after asking its casino partner to resign in the wake of an investigation by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, Suffolk Downs said it will unveil a $40 million "racing improvement plan" at a local horse farm.
Just three weeks before critical local referendums on casino gambling at Suffolk Downs, the racetrack asked partner Caesars Entertainment to resign from the proposed destination resort casino development.
Horse racing will receive a share of gaming revenue from the casinos that will be built in Massachusetts, but during an Oct. 16 forum on the industry, stakeholders asked a question: What good is the money without racetracks?
Suffolk Downs has earned re-accreditation from the National Thoroughbred Racing Association, officials said Oct. 8.
New York-based stallion Noonmark picked up his first winner Sept. 7 when Noon Shadow posted a one-length victory in the first race at Suffolk Downs, a maiden special weight test.
Suffolk Downs reported progress Aug. 27 in its quest for a casino license.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Lady Shipman Stands Tall in Highlander
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- 'Ghost' Takes on Males in Queen's Plate
- Litfin at Large: The Mother Goose
- Santa Anita Installs New Turf Course
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation