Whata Brainstorm saved ground along the hedge under jockey John Velazquez before swinging out for the stretch run en route to winning Sunday's $250,000 Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT) on a firm turf course at Gulfstream Park. Whata Brainstorm completed the 1 1/2 miles in 2:23.75 -- three-fifths of a second off the course record -- after running the final quarter-mile in :23.75.
They are all far too diplomatic to mention it, of course. Both Bill Mott and Pat Day spent the better part of 20 minutes, after the Mott-saddled Subtle Power capitalized on a rail-skimming ride from Day to win the Feb. 10 Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT), denying that there was any special satisfaction that came from defeating Jerry Bailey on even-money Ciro.
The Thoroughbred Corporation's Subtle Power will return to the barn of Henry Cecil, his former trainer, to race in Europe next year, according to the Racing Post.
Godolphin Racing's Man o' War (gr. IT) winner Fantastic Light heads a field of 12 entered in Saturday's $750,000 Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Mubtaahij the X Factor in Kentucky Derby
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for April 21, 2015
- Motion to Send out Kitten's Point in Bewitch
- Derby: War Story, Mr. Z to Breeze Wednesday
- Mubtaahij Works Three Furlongs at Arlington
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- Kentucky Oaks Notes, April 21
- McKathans Saw Early Brilliance of 'Pharoah'
- WV Analysis: Purses Can't Support Race Dates