Upstart Separate Forest opened a substantial lead in her stakes debut and refused to give way to heavy favorite Unzip Me to win the $100,000 Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. IIIT) by a neck at Santa Anita.
California Nectar led every step of the way while holding off heavy favorite Zazu in the final strides to win the $150,000 Santa Ynez Stakes (gr. II) by a neck at Santa Anita Jan. 15.
The first starter by grade I winner Bellamy Road scored May 19 at Hollywood Park.
Golden Spikes, on the Triple Crown trail earlier this year, is beginning to find a niche as a sprinter, as he captured the $250,000 Carry Back Stakes July 12 at Calder Race Course for his second win in a row.
Kissin Kris, a grade I winner and millionaire, will stand in 2007 at Tom and Debbie Stull's Tommy Town Thoroughbreds near Santa Ynez, Calif.
There wasn't much speed signed up for Saturday's $200,000 Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT), and jockey Corey Nakatani took full advantage to drive Sharp Lisa to a crafty front-running victory by a nose over Eternal Melody at 10 furlongs on the Santa Anita lawn.
Millionaire Event of the Year will stand in 2006 at Rich and Gaby Sulpizio's Magali Farms near Santa Ynez, Calif.
The undefeated Estate Collection, making his stakes debut, set a lively pace for jockey Patrick Valenzuela in the Kentucky Cup Sprint (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Turfway Park Saturday but refused to give in late, winning by three-quarters of a length over 23-1 Humor At Last.
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Records on the Line in Final Native Diver Run
- Lucayan Well-Spotted in Hollywood Turf Cup
- String King to Try Dirt at Fair Grounds
- Kentucky Steps Toward Medication Uniformity
- Drug Testing Not Without Its Challenges
- Aftercare Alliance Awards $1M in Grants
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29