After challenging for command entering the lane, Stormy West withstood late challenges from Final Refrain and Barbette to capture the inaugural running of the $60,000 Blushing K.D. Handicap, the co-feature on a wet opening day to Fair Grounds' 137th season Nov. 14.
Jockey Gerard Melancon recorded the 3,000th victory of his career in the ninth race, a $31,000 entry level allowance race for Louisiana breds, Thursday evening at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino.
Front-running Connor's Call, owned by Valene Farms, won the $91,485 colts and geldings division, while Marcia LaMarche's Anything But Quiet came from off the pace to win the $93,685 fillies division of the Louisiana Futurity Friday at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Mo Don't Know Named Ohio Horse of the Year