After challenging for command entering the lane, Stormy West withstood late challenges from Final Refrain and Barbette to capture the inaugural running of the $60,000 Blushing K.D. Handicap, the co-feature on a wet opening day to Fair Grounds' 137th season Nov. 14.
Jockey Gerard Melancon recorded the 3,000th victory of his career in the ninth race, a $31,000 entry level allowance race for Louisiana breds, Thursday evening at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino.
Front-running Connor's Call, owned by Valene Farms, won the $91,485 colts and geldings division, while Marcia LaMarche's Anything But Quiet came from off the pace to win the $93,685 fillies division of the Louisiana Futurity Friday at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Pensioned Top Maryland Sire Not For Love Dies
- Second Saratoga Group Sounds Off on NYRA Plan
- Santa Anita Pick 6 Pays Over $1.47 Million
- Ride On Curlin to Florida's Pleasant Acres
- Purses Enhanced for 2016 Ellis Park Meet
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Stahlbaum Wins Avelino Gomez Award
- Illuminant Upsets Wekeela in Gamely Stakes
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'