After challenging for command entering the lane, Stormy West withstood late challenges from Final Refrain and Barbette to capture the inaugural running of the $60,000 Blushing K.D. Handicap, the co-feature on a wet opening day to Fair Grounds' 137th season Nov. 14.
Jockey Gerard Melancon recorded the 3,000th victory of his career in the ninth race, a $31,000 entry level allowance race for Louisiana breds, Thursday evening at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino.
Front-running Connor's Call, owned by Valene Farms, won the $91,485 colts and geldings division, while Marcia LaMarche's Anything But Quiet came from off the pace to win the $93,685 fillies division of the Louisiana Futurity Friday at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Will Take Charge Retired
- Keeneland Gross, Average Decline Slightly
- Princess of Sylmar to Fasig-Tipton Sale
- Bayern Cruises to Pennsylvania Derby Win
- Fields Shaping Up for Super Saturday Card
- After the Wire: Game On Dude & Pa. Derby
- Los Alamitos Concludes First Fall Meet
- Florida Won Steals Ontario Derby Show
- Jockey Court Eyes Return to Race Riding
- Kaldera Up in Time in German St. Leger