Hours after the June 3 death of Escena, champion older mare of 1998, her 4-year-old son Rock Scene won a maiden special weight event at Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course.
Fistfite, a son of Two Punch, died of a heart attack July 25. The 11-year-old stallion was standing in Kansas but was to stand in 2010 at the farm of his owner, Dr. Warren Center.
A broodmare carrying a foal by Behrens brought a top price of $200,000 during Saturday's session of Keeneland's November Breeding Stock Sale.
Nearly four years ago, Virginia Kraft Payson convinced herself it was time for a change. The breeder had been successfully racing her own stock, first with her late husband, Charles, then solo for about 20 years. However, in 1999, she decided to do an about-face and become a commercial breeder.
Most Popular Stories
- Crown Champ American Pharoah Returns to Work
- E Dubai Filly Top Pick at MD Yearling Show
- Casse Eyes Second Straight Queen's Plate Win
- Presque Isle Asks State for Guidance on Deer
- Churchill Downs Spring Meet Handle Increases
- KHRC Delays Action on Medication Rules
- Normandy Invasion Set to Return at Delaware
- Keeneland Expands Fall Meet Stakes Schedule
- ABR Releases Another Digital Video Ad
- Zia Park Schedules 33 Stakes for 2015 Meet