Inaugural Breeders’ Cup makes its mark in today’s pedigrees
Hours after the June 3 death of Escena, champion older mare of 1998, her 4-year-old son Rock Scene won a maiden special weight event at Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course.
Fistfite, a son of Two Punch, died of a heart attack July 25. The 11-year-old stallion was standing in Kansas but was to stand in 2010 at the farm of his owner, Dr. Warren Center.
A broodmare carrying a foal by Behrens brought a top price of $200,000 during Saturday's session of Keeneland's November Breeding Stock Sale.
Nearly four years ago, Virginia Kraft Payson convinced herself it was time for a change. The breeder had been successfully racing her own stock, first with her late husband, Charles, then solo for about 20 years. However, in 1999, she decided to do an about-face and become a commercial breeder.
Most Popular Stories
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut