Wander Mom, third in the My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) last year, was in control of Saturday's running at Calder, taking the lead within the first quarter mile of the 1 1/8-mile Grand Slam I turf event and hanging on strongly at the end.
The Calder racing season hits high gear Saturday with the track's first of two Grand Slam stakes programs. Band Is Passing, Babae, Two Item Limit, Volga and Tour Of The Cat are among the marquee names that will run in the four stakes worth $100,000 each, three of them graded events.
Forbidden Apple, one of the leading turf horses in the nation, will make his next start in the $500,000 Citation Handicap (gr. II) on grass at Hollywood Park on Nov. 30, trainer Christophe Clement said Monday from New York.
Chilean-bred Babae wins back-to-back renewals of the Athenia Handicap.
Joseph Platt Jr.'s Babae, the likely favorite for Saturday's $100,000 Athenia Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares, is poised to capture back-to-back runnings of the 1 1/6-mile turf feature at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- G. G. Ryder Wins All American in Blanket Finish
- Weekend Hideaway Repeats in Commentator
- Gun Runner Breezes for Stephen Foster
- Connections Plan Breeders' Cup Trip for Top Casablanca
- Fourstar Crook Continues Turf Win Streak
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Rey de Oro wins Japanese Derby
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham