Grade III-winning Indiana-based stallion Strait of Mewsina sired his foal when a filly was born April 17.
Grade I winner Presious Passion has not been in the best of form lately, but the 5-year-old gelding will try to get back to his winning ways in an event he scored in last year, the $150,000 W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. IIT). The 1 1/2-mile turf event is one of four graded stakes on Calder Race Course's $500,000 Grand Slam program Dec. 13 in Miami Gardens, Fla.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Grade III winner Strait of Mewsina is one of several stakes winners inbred to Danzig. The son of Spartacus gets one influence of Danzig through his grandsire Danehill, and the other the influence through Chief's Crown, his broodmare grandsire. While male line/male line inbreeding generally has a lower-than-opportunity success rate, the inbreeding of Danzig has produced 20 stakes winners.
Strait of Mewsina, trailing the field heading into the turn for home, finished best of all to post a 19-1 surprise in the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) in Illinois.
Adriano, winner of the Kent Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Delaware Park six weeks ago, figures to be a strong favorite when he takes on seven 3-year-olds in the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) on the turf in Illinois Oct. 11.
Michael Cooper and Pamela Ziebarth's Tizdejavu, undefeated on turf, will be after his fourth consecutive victory over the surface in the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT) Aug. 9 at Arlington Park. Tizdejavu, trained by Gregory Fox, was installed as the 6-5 morning line favorite in the 1 1/4-mile test for 3-year-olds. Nine were entered.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Close Hatches Dominates Personal Ensign
- California Chrome Sharpens Up at Los Alamitos
- Mark Valeski, Magna Graduate to Woodford
- Bayern Gallops 1 1/2 Miles On Eve of Travers
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Pedigree Analysis: Bayern
- Hootenanny, The Wow Signal to Meet in France
- Jerkens, Lukas, Durkin Honored at Saratoga
- Irish Surf Opts for Classic Over Del Mar 'Cap