With prices tumbling at the early select sales of 2-year-olds in training, pinhookers, who provide most of the stock for the auctions, already are thinking about how they are going to approach their next buying-and-selling cycle. It's not good news for yearling consignors because, in general, pinhookers plan to be much less aggressive when buying young horses later this year.
Times were sizzling Sunday in Central Florida as the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. held its first under tack show for a juvenile auction over its new Safetrack synthetic surface.
She Says It Best, who won last year's Darley Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies at Keeneland, has been retired from racing after suffering a slab fracture of her left knee.
A sale record was established for average price at the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's select juvenile auction at Calder Race Course Tuesday. In addition, the median price increased dramatically from a year ago, rising to the second-highest level in the South Florida sale's history.
A Saint Ballado colt purchased for $25,000 last fall was sold for $500,000 Tuesday to top the first half of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's selected 2-year-olds in training sale at Caler Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation
- Miyadi Arrested After Altercation With Solis
- 'Chrome' Logs Final Work for Awesome Again
- Nightflower Takes Second Europa
- Accelerate Finds Just Enough in Los Al Derby