Stormy West and American Border, who have seven consecutive wins between them, will do battle in a full field of fillies and mares in the $125,000 Endeavour Stakes (gr. IIIT) Feb. 14 on the Tampa Bay Downs turf course.
After challenging for command entering the lane, Stormy West withstood late challenges from Final Refrain and Barbette to capture the inaugural running of the $60,000 Blushing K.D. Handicap, the co-feature on a wet opening day to Fair Grounds' 137th season Nov. 14.
Dreaming of Anna heads a tough field of eight fillies and mares for Friday's First Lady Stakes (gr. IT) at Keeneland.
Ben McElroy's Roshani, the 6-5 favorite in a five-horse field, held off Lady Digby to win the Gallorette Handicap (gr. IIIT) by a half-length at Pimlico.
Grade II winner Valbenny, one of the leading turf fillies on the West Coast last season, returns from an absence of more than eight months while making her first start for trainer Michael Matz in the $100,000 Gallorette Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Pimlico lawn May 17.
Virginia Kraft Payson homebred Rutherienne rallied from off the pace under Garrett Gomez, split horses turning for home and took the lead in deep stretch to win by a neck in the $200,000 Jenny Wiley Stakes (gr. IIT) April 12 on the Keeneland turf.
A long wait for the spring thaw and the return of top-level turf racing to Kentucky helped produce an extraordinarily tough group of 10 older fillies and mares for the $200,000 Jenny Wiley Stakes (gr. IIT) at Keeneland April 12. Grade I winners Precious Kitten, Rutherienne, and Bit of Whimsy and the last two Canadian Horse of the Year winners, Arravale and Sealy Hill, account for half of the field.
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint
- Fasig-Tipton Horses of Racing Age Sale Offers Diversity
- Supreme Court to Consider N.J. Sports Gambling Case