Multiple grade I winner Star Parade will attempt to repeat last year's victory in the $250,000 Santa Maria Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park Sunday, but she figures to be severely tested in her first start since August.
Jockey Jason Lumpkins suffered a fractured left collarbone and a mild concussion when his mount Crozet fell during the running of the $51,875 Star Ball Stakes for fillies and mares Sunday at Golden Gate Fields.
A field of 10 fillies and mares will contest the Sen. Ken Maddy Handicap (gr. IIIT) that highlights Wednesday's opening card for the Oak Tree at Santa Anita Park.
Coconut Girl, who ended Ema Bovary's nine-race winning streak to capture the Desert Stormer Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park on June 5, hopes to complete a rare sweep when she faces eight foes in the $150,000 A Gleam Invitational Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares Saturday.
Ema Bovary's nine-race winning streak came to end when she was unable to catch a game Coconut Girl in the $106,000 Desert Stormer Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park Saturday.
Pesci, the promising 4-year-old filly and namesake of co-owner Joe Pesci, the Academy Award-winning actor, seeks her first graded stakes victory in Sunday's $100,000-added Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
With nine consecutive victories, 5-year-old mare Ema Bovary puts the longest winning streak in the nation on the line Saturday in the $100,000-added Desert Stormer Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
Stormica, a 4-year-old Kentucky-bred filly, seeks her third consecutive victory in the United States in the $100,000-added Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Santa Anita downhill turf course at about 6 1/2 furlongs.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Effort to Resolve Virginia Dates Fails Again
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Club 2014 Fact Book Posted Online
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Constitution to Make Stakes Debut in FL Derby
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Maryland-Based Owner Arnold Heft Dies at 94
- New York Owner/Breeder Bomze Dies at 76