Multiple grade I winner Star Parade will attempt to repeat last year's victory in the $250,000 Santa Maria Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park Sunday, but she figures to be severely tested in her first start since August.
Jockey Jason Lumpkins suffered a fractured left collarbone and a mild concussion when his mount Crozet fell during the running of the $51,875 Star Ball Stakes for fillies and mares Sunday at Golden Gate Fields.
A field of 10 fillies and mares will contest the Sen. Ken Maddy Handicap (gr. IIIT) that highlights Wednesday's opening card for the Oak Tree at Santa Anita Park.
Coconut Girl, who ended Ema Bovary's nine-race winning streak to capture the Desert Stormer Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park on June 5, hopes to complete a rare sweep when she faces eight foes in the $150,000 A Gleam Invitational Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares Saturday.
Ema Bovary's nine-race winning streak came to end when she was unable to catch a game Coconut Girl in the $106,000 Desert Stormer Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park Saturday.
Pesci, the promising 4-year-old filly and namesake of co-owner Joe Pesci, the Academy Award-winning actor, seeks her first graded stakes victory in Sunday's $100,000-added Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
With nine consecutive victories, 5-year-old mare Ema Bovary puts the longest winning streak in the nation on the line Saturday in the $100,000-added Desert Stormer Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
Stormica, a 4-year-old Kentucky-bred filly, seeks her third consecutive victory in the United States in the $100,000-added Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Santa Anita downhill turf course at about 6 1/2 furlongs.
Most Popular Stories
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner