Stormalory, a 3-year-old colt, was euthanized after breaking down during the Crown Royal American Turf Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs May 1.
Kim and John Glenney's homebred Orthodox pulled off a shocker in the American Turf (gr. IIIT) May 1 at Churchill Downs, taking over in the stretch and holding off Battle of Hastings in the final yards to score at odds of 45-1 under Jon Court.
Confirming Bill Mott's suspicions that he was a natural turf horse, Darley Stable's Stormalory came from off the pace to take the $150,000 Central Bank Transylvania (gr. IIIT), the opening day feature at Keeneland on April 3.
Some of the 3-year-olds entered in the $150,000 Central Bank Transylvania (gr. IIIT) made brief stops on the Triple Crown trail and are now switching gears. Others began their careers on dirt but have recently found success on turf. Whatever the individual case may be, it has made for an interesting field of eight in Keeneland's feature race April 3, which is opening day of the Lexington racetrack's 15-day spring meet.
G. Watts Humphrey Jr.'s homebred El Crespo took over at the top of the lane and powered to a one length victory in the $150,000 Palm Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT) March 14 on the Gulfstream Park turf.
Duke of Homberg, winner of the Hallandale Beach Stakes last month, returns to the Gulfstream Park turf to take on six rivals in the $150,000 Palm Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT) March 14.
Joseph Rauch and David Zell's Capt. Candyman Can sparkled in his Churchill Downs debut while winning the Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) by three lengths Nov. 1. Four weeks later the son of Candy Ride tries to run them off their feet again, this time facing nine juvenile rivals in the $150,000 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (gr. II) Nov. 29 in Louisville.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes
- Mo Town, Guest Suite Set for Risen Star Showdown
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- International Star Could Add to Fair Grounds Success
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
- Grade 1 Haskell Headlines Monmouth Stakes Schedule