Because of a storm that brought heavy rain and left the track unsuitable for racing, Turf Paradise canceled racing a third straight day Monday, Dec. 17.
Owner Dean Reeves talks about Breeders' Cup Classic contender Mucho Macho Man Oct. 30. watch video
Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) favorite Wise Dan will have his travel plans from Lexington to Santa Anita Park delayed a day, trainer Charlie Lopresti said Oct. 29.
Insurance adjusters were at Ellis Park Nov. 7 assessing the damage wrought by a tornado that struck the western Kentucky racetrack early in the morning the previous day.
Calder Race Course sustained damage Monday to its clubhouse facility and parts of its stable area as a result of Hurricane Wilma, which stormed across South Florida Oct. 24.
For the second day in a row Sunday, a powerful winter storm in the eastern portion of the country forced cancellation of live racing at Aqueduct, Laurel Park and Turfway Park.
Though many Central Kentucky farms were without power in the wake of major ice storm that hit the Lexington area Feb. 15-16, all three of the major veterinary clinics were up and running.
A storm that whipped through Medina County, Texas, the evening of March 19 killed five horses and destroyed three barns at Gene and Judy Palmieri's Silver Spur Ranch located about a half-hour southwest of San Antonio.
During thunderstorms, most horses show no noticeable response to either thunder or lightning independent of the severity of the rain and the wind.
Most Popular Stories
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014