Because of a storm that brought heavy rain and left the track unsuitable for racing, Turf Paradise canceled racing a third straight day Monday, Dec. 17.
Owner Dean Reeves talks about Breeders' Cup Classic contender Mucho Macho Man Oct. 30. watch video
Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) favorite Wise Dan will have his travel plans from Lexington to Santa Anita Park delayed a day, trainer Charlie Lopresti said Oct. 29.
Insurance adjusters were at Ellis Park Nov. 7 assessing the damage wrought by a tornado that struck the western Kentucky racetrack early in the morning the previous day.
Calder Race Course sustained damage Monday to its clubhouse facility and parts of its stable area as a result of Hurricane Wilma, which stormed across South Florida Oct. 24.
For the second day in a row Sunday, a powerful winter storm in the eastern portion of the country forced cancellation of live racing at Aqueduct, Laurel Park and Turfway Park.
Though many Central Kentucky farms were without power in the wake of major ice storm that hit the Lexington area Feb. 15-16, all three of the major veterinary clinics were up and running.
A storm that whipped through Medina County, Texas, the evening of March 19 killed five horses and destroyed three barns at Gene and Judy Palmieri's Silver Spur Ranch located about a half-hour southwest of San Antonio.
During thunderstorms, most horses show no noticeable response to either thunder or lightning independent of the severity of the rain and the wind.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes