Yearling fillies brought the three highest prices at the Fasig-Tipton Texas yearling and fall mixed sale Oct. 13 at Lone Star Park, with a Texas-bred daughter of Trappe Shot the top seller at $50,000.
Special Rate, who ranks among the top 10 stallions in Texas, has been moved to Sue Dowling's Stoneview Farm near Hempstead, Texas, for the 2014 breeding season.
Though somewhat erratic through the homestretch, Ranger Heartley held off odds-on choice Connemara to win the $100,000 California Derby by three-quarters of a length at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 16.
Naevus, the sire of 29 stakes winners and earners of more than $21 million, was euthanized Aug. 12 due to complications from laminitis.
Multiple stakes winner Chief Three Sox was represented by his first winner when his son Single Sox won May 1 at Lone Star Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist's BC Work Less Than Ideal
- California Chrome 'Fit' for BC After Work
- Living The Life Retired, Won't Run in BC
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Beholder, Frosted Drill at Santa Anita
- Rachel Alexandra Breeder Morrison dies
- Getting Started on Breeders' Cup Handicapping
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- Songbird Logs Final Breeze for Distaff
- Breeders' Cup Race Order, Wagering Options