Perfect Drift, winner of last year's Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. II), will not be back to defend his title this Saturday at Turfway Park according to trainer Murray Johnson. Johnson made the announcement Monday morning after Perfect Drift finished a five-furlong work in 1:03 3/5 at Trackside in Louisville.
A field of 10 older turf milers including Claiborne Farm's Stroll, who is riding a five-race winning streak, have passed the entry box for Friday's Maker's Mark Mile (gr. IIT) at Keeneland. The $200,000 race also includes $2-million earner Perfect Drift.
Perfect Drift, whose connections are considering a run in the Oct. 25 Breeders' Cup Classic - Powered by Dodge (gr. I), will work Saturday at Churchill Downs' Trackside Louisville training center.
Most Popular Stories
- Canterbury Releases 2014 Stakes Schedule
- American Gaming Association Adds Churchill
- Finger Lakes Launches ADW Site
- Woobine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar