Perfect Drift, winner of last year's Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. II), will not be back to defend his title this Saturday at Turfway Park according to trainer Murray Johnson. Johnson made the announcement Monday morning after Perfect Drift finished a five-furlong work in 1:03 3/5 at Trackside in Louisville.
A field of 10 older turf milers including Claiborne Farm's Stroll, who is riding a five-race winning streak, have passed the entry box for Friday's Maker's Mark Mile (gr. IIT) at Keeneland. The $200,000 race also includes $2-million earner Perfect Drift.
Perfect Drift, whose connections are considering a run in the Oct. 25 Breeders' Cup Classic - Powered by Dodge (gr. I), will work Saturday at Churchill Downs' Trackside Louisville training center.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- Legends: Charlie Whittingham, the Bald Eagle
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Limousine Liberal Seeks Graded Score in Smile
- Six Neglected Horses Cleared to Leave Farm
- Recruiting Ready Signs on for Bashford Manor