Perfect Drift, winner of last year's Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. II), will not be back to defend his title this Saturday at Turfway Park according to trainer Murray Johnson. Johnson made the announcement Monday morning after Perfect Drift finished a five-furlong work in 1:03 3/5 at Trackside in Louisville.
A field of 10 older turf milers including Claiborne Farm's Stroll, who is riding a five-race winning streak, have passed the entry box for Friday's Maker's Mark Mile (gr. IIT) at Keeneland. The $200,000 race also includes $2-million earner Perfect Drift.
Perfect Drift, whose connections are considering a run in the Oct. 25 Breeders' Cup Classic - Powered by Dodge (gr. I), will work Saturday at Churchill Downs' Trackside Louisville training center.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- The Pizza Man Key Ingredient To Arlington
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- The Influence of His Majesty
- French Derby Duo Clash Again at Longchamp
- Belmont to Offer Low-Roller Player Tourney
- Two Fillies Among 37 Ohio Derby Nominees
- Tattersalls July Sale Ends on High Note