Pure as Gold, claimed for $100,000 in his last start, paid an immediate dividend for owner La Canada Stables and trainer Jack Carava when he upset the field in Sunday's $300,000 Bing Crosby Handicap (gr. I) at Del Mar.
Rail-skimming Pure as Gold slipped through an opening on the inside for jockey Patrick Valenzuela to gain the lead in mid-stretch and coasted to a 1 3/4-length upset in the $109,400 San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Santa Anita hillside turf course Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Mastery Passes Two-Turn Test in Futurity
- Abel Tasman Upsets American Gal in Starlet
- Bode's Dream Perfect in House Party
- Paulassilverlining Golden in Garland of Roses
- California Chrome Logs Final 'Challenge' Work
- Mobile Bay Turns Tables in LA Classic
- Greatbullsoffire Runs Away With MD Futurity
- Thewayyouare Relocated to Haras de Corlay
- Keane Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Los Al Gets Spotlight