Pure as Gold, claimed for $100,000 in his last start, paid an immediate dividend for owner La Canada Stables and trainer Jack Carava when he upset the field in Sunday's $300,000 Bing Crosby Handicap (gr. I) at Del Mar.
Rail-skimming Pure as Gold slipped through an opening on the inside for jockey Patrick Valenzuela to gain the lead in mid-stretch and coasted to a 1 3/4-length upset in the $109,400 San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Santa Anita hillside turf course Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Eyes Scratching of Unreported Geldings
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Old Friends to Receive Special Eclipse Award
- Travis Stone Named Churchill Downs Announcer
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Emerald Downs Purses to Rise 20% in 2015
- Bridlewood Owner Malone Purchases Ballylinch
- Ramden's Favored Act of War Wins Cape Guineas
- Casino Would Negatively Impact Finger Lakes