Jockey Eibar Coa almost got a Grand Slam all by himself at Calder Race Course Saturday, finishing with winners of three of the day's four stakes races after Krieger captured the $100,000 Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) for 3 and up at 1 1/8 mile on the turf.
Despite a somewhat troubled trip, Moyglare Stud Farm's Make No Mistake rallied in the stretch to win Saturday's $100,000 Bougainvillea Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Hialeah Park. Under jockey Jose Santos, Make No Mistake completed the 1 1/8 miles in 1:50.10 on the turf course listed as "good."
Aly's Alley and Stokosky look like the horses to beat in a full field of 12 older horses entered in the Bougainvillea Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Hialeah Park.
A Lille Luck rallied in the stretch to win the $150,000 W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. IIT) by a length over Stokosky on Saturday at Calder Race Course. The Barclay Tagg-trained gelding rallied in the stretch under jockey Mike Smith to catch second-place finisher Stokosky, finishing the 1 1/2-mile race in 2:29.01 on a firm turf course.
Four $100,000 stakes, three of them graded, were run at Calder Saturday with an upset victory by Stokosky in the Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) capping the program.
Florida-breds horses racing under saddle cloth three swept all four legs of the Grand Slam I races at Calder Saturday and the pick four linking those races returned a healthy $6,678.60 for each $1 wagered.
Most Popular Stories
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Lanerie Scores Unusual Double at Ellis Park
- Destin Remains On Track for Jim Dandy
- Beholder Brilliant in Del Mar Breeze
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- California Diamond Shines in Paddock Sale