The Lumber Guy enjoyed the cutback to a mile in the $200,000 Jerome (gr. II), as he fended off pressure all the way around the track to score by 2 3/4 lengths April 21 at Aqueduct Racetrack.
The Jerome drew a field of seven, four of them entering off failed Derby prep efforts. Trainer Bob Baffert, a two-time winner of this event, will send out of a pair including Sunland Derby third-place finisher Stirred Up.
Florida Derby (gr. I) runner-up Reveron is the top name among 49 horses nominated to $200,000 Coolmore Lexington (gr. III) at Keeneland April 21.
Daddy Nose Best proved his versatility once again when he ran down local hope Isn't He Clever in the final strides to claim the $800,000 Sunland Derby (gr. III) in New Mexico March 25.
One need only scan the names of multiple Eclipse Award-winning trainers Bob Baffert, Todd Pletcher, and Steve Asmussen to realize that in 2012, New Mexico's $800,000 Sunland Derby (gr. III) has come of age.
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?
- Far Right Works, Confirmed for Southwest