Green Lantern Stables' Karelian and American Racing Stables' Demarcation, head-bobbing to the wire, finished in a dead-heat in the River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) Nov. 22 at Churchill Downs, each of them earning their first career graded stakes win in the process.
Zayat Stables' Thorn Song has a big class edge, but will have to break from post 11 and concede three-to-nine pounds to his rivals, as the multiple graded stakes winner headlines the $100,000-added River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill Downs grass Nov. 22.
Odds-on choice Jonesboro edged away from Smokeyjonessutton through the homestretch to post a 1 3/4-length win in the $151,500 Tiznow Handicap at Louisiana Downs Sept. 20, earning a berth in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile in the process. The Tiznow was one of five six-figure stakes on the Super Derby undercard.
Front-running Thorn Song slammed the door on prohibitive choice Einstein in the stretch and held on for a one-length victory in the $213,250 Firecracker Handicap (gr. IIT) over a yielding Churchill Downs turf course July 4.
Coragil Cat burst to the lead mid-stretch and drew off to win the $100,000 Hanshin Cup Handicap (gr. III) by three lengths at odds of 11-1 in his graded debut May 24 on Arlington Park's Polytrack.
Heros Reward was named 2007 Maryland-bred Horse of the Year, as well as champion older male, sprinter, and turf runner, in the annual poll conducted by the Maryland Horse Breeders Association.
Oxbow Racing's Steve's Double made a double of his own, a two-race winning streak that also brought his first black-type win when he came from off the pace to win the $200,000 Perryville (gr. III) at Keeneland Oct. 13.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby