Benburb, Canada's Horse of the Year in 1992, has died.
On a fast day at Woodbine, Leonnatus Anteas, Canada's champion 2-year-old male in 2006, set the Toronto oval's Polytrack record for 1 1/8 miles in the $150,000 Durham Cup Stakes (Can-III) Oct. 13.
Leonnatus Anteas, a first-time starter, pulled an upset for Knob Hill Stable and the estate of Steve Stavro in Sunday's $150,000 Vandal Stakes for 2-year-olds at Woodbine.
Celebrating its 30th anniversary, the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame announced its 2006 inductees Tuesday, headlined by the late Steve Stavro in the Builders' category.
The late Steve Stavro, a prominent owner and breeder of champion Thoroughbreds, and Jack McNiven, one of leading breeders of Standardbreds in Canada, have been nominated for election in the Builders' category of the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame.
Steve Stavro, who bred and raced such stars as Canadian Horses of the Year Benburb and Thornfield, died April 24 of an apparent heart attack.
Cool Victor, sire of Canadian champion and classic winner Victor Cooley, was euthanized Dec. 12 because of the infirmities of old age.
Time Of War, owned by Steve Stavro's Knob Hill Stable, shocked not only fans, but his trainer as well when he crossed the wire first at 22-1 in Saturday's $128,500 Sir Barton Stakes at Woodbine.
Chopinina, last year's Sovereign Award-winning turf filly, is no longer a bridesmaid after winning Saturday's $219,050 Royal North Handicap (Can-III) on the turf for her first career stakes victory.
Steve Stavro's Knob Hill Stables will sell five of its best mares and one stallion at the Keeneland November Breeding Stock sale Nov. 5-18.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill
- Upstart, Frosted Drill in Florida for Derby
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Emerald Downs Seeks New Track Announcer
- Baffert Weighing Bayern's Derby Week Options
- 'Company' No Issue for El Kabeir in Workout
- Tencendur Beats the Rain in Morning Move
- Kentucky Derby: Simon Callaghan & Firing Line
- Criterion, Red Cadeaux Set for Rematch in HK
- International Star Stays Home for Final Work