Benburb, Canada's Horse of the Year in 1992, has died.
On a fast day at Woodbine, Leonnatus Anteas, Canada's champion 2-year-old male in 2006, set the Toronto oval's Polytrack record for 1 1/8 miles in the $150,000 Durham Cup Stakes (Can-III) Oct. 13.
Leonnatus Anteas, a first-time starter, pulled an upset for Knob Hill Stable and the estate of Steve Stavro in Sunday's $150,000 Vandal Stakes for 2-year-olds at Woodbine.
Celebrating its 30th anniversary, the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame announced its 2006 inductees Tuesday, headlined by the late Steve Stavro in the Builders' category.
The late Steve Stavro, a prominent owner and breeder of champion Thoroughbreds, and Jack McNiven, one of leading breeders of Standardbreds in Canada, have been nominated for election in the Builders' category of the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame.
Steve Stavro, who bred and raced such stars as Canadian Horses of the Year Benburb and Thornfield, died April 24 of an apparent heart attack.
Cool Victor, sire of Canadian champion and classic winner Victor Cooley, was euthanized Dec. 12 because of the infirmities of old age.
Time Of War, owned by Steve Stavro's Knob Hill Stable, shocked not only fans, but his trainer as well when he crossed the wire first at 22-1 in Saturday's $128,500 Sir Barton Stakes at Woodbine.
Chopinina, last year's Sovereign Award-winning turf filly, is no longer a bridesmaid after winning Saturday's $219,050 Royal North Handicap (Can-III) on the turf for her first career stakes victory.
Steve Stavro's Knob Hill Stables will sell five of its best mares and one stallion at the Keeneland November Breeding Stock sale Nov. 5-18.
Most Popular Stories
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Southwest the Next Target for Uncontested
- Finest City Entered for 2017 Debut in Santa Monica
- Uncle Lino Back to Work at Santa Anita
- Awesome Slew Stands Out in Sunshine Millions Classic
- Strong Racing Stable Has Oxley Looking Forward
- Eclipse Awards to be Televised on TVG2
- Sunshine Millions Cuts After FTBOA Withholds Payment
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm