The California Horse Racing Board plans to meet in closed session prior to its general meeting July 23 to consider complaints and appeals that have been filed against the board challenging Ingrid Fermin's appointment as a steward at Del Mar this season.
Trainer Steve Knapp was minding his own business at Del Mar one day when he looked up and saw a horse he liked. After $85,000 was spent for the claiming horse, he had a new runner in his barn.
Jockey Jon Court got his 3,000th career win in Thursday's final race at Santa Anita Park aboard 10-1 shot Brite Lorelei.
Icantgoforthat, overlooked at 22-1 under substitute jockey Joe Steiner, led all the way in winning the $96,825 Daisycutter Handicap for older fillies and mares at five furlongs on the Del Mar grass course Friday.
In a racing oddity, there were 18 claims for five of the six starters in Wednesday's first race at Santa Anita, a $20,000 claiming event at 1 1/16 miles.
Icantgoforthat and jockey Tyler Baze led virtually from start to finish but needed every ounce of strength they could muster to hold off Polygreen by a nose in the $109,300 Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on the downhill turf course at Santa Anita Monday.
Jim and Marcia Equils, who have owned Thoroughbreds for less than four years, wrapped up the 2003 Hollywood Park spring/summer meeting as the leading owners.
Icantgoforthat opened a commanding lead on the turn and powered home by more than thee lengths Friday in the $107,100 Survive Stakes for older California-bred fillies and mares at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru