As the 2009 yearling selling season approaches, the global financial situation continues to remain grim and nobody is really sure how much the demand for young horses will be impacted. To provide some insights, yearling auction participants discussed their plans and expectations with The Blood-Horse.
The Keeneland April sale of 2-year-olds in training was the fifth and final major select juvenile auction of the year, and its results followed the downward trends seen at the earlier sales. Read what buyers and consignors had to say about the market in Lexington April 6 and 7.
On Sunday morning, Exogenous, the Unbridled filly who suffered a severe concussion in a freak mishap prior to the running of the Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I), was alert, standing in her stall, and eating hay, leaving the father and son training team of Scotty and Randy Schulhofer optimistic about her chances to recover. However, Randy Schulhofer cautioned that "the next 24 to 48 hours are the most crucial."
Sale records were established for average and median during Keeneland's April auction of 2-year-olds in training. But those results didn't tell the whole story about what happened on a cold and snowy spring day in Central Kentucky. The buy-back rate inched upward to a sale-record high. The number sold plunged to a sale-record low. And consignors complained often about buyers who were too picky and too few in numbers. In other words, the auction experienced many of the same problems that afflicted earlier juvenile sales this year in Florida and California.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Madam Dancealot Closes From Last to Win San Clemente
- Gun Runner Posts Bullet in Breeze for Whitney
- Girvin Has Final Work Ahead of Haskell
- Glamanation First Stakes Winner for Point of Entry
- Brown in High Spirits After Three Saratoga Wins
- Lady Eli’s Amazing Story Continues