Silverfoot, a 10-year-old gelding who captured the Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT) three consecutive years, is finally riding off into the sunset of his career.
The 8-year-old stayer Silverfoot found a nice spot for his first win in more than two years, rallying along the hedge to post a mild surprise in the $175,000 Stars and Stripes Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Arlington Park July 4.
An impressive field of 12 older males have been entered on Friday's running of the Fifth Third Elkhorn Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland. Topping the list in the $200,000 race appears to be Pellegrino, a Brazilian-bred gelding who captured the 2004 Hollywood Turf Cup Stakes (gr. IT).
Favored Silverfoot, ridden patiently by Rafael Bejarano, exploited an opening along the inside in the stretch run and pulled away for a 6 3/4-length romp in the $200,000 Kentucky Cup Turf (gr. IIIT) on the unique Kentucky Downs grass layout Saturday.
Silverfoot, ridden by Robby Albarado, regained the lead at the top of the stretch and then held off a late rush by Rochester for a three-quarter length Memorial Day win in the $110,400 Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds and up at Churchill Downs.
Silverfoot, with Robby Albarado aboard, squeezed through tight quarters at the top of the stretch, then powered down the lane to nip Rochester at the wire for a nose victory in the $112,400 Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT) on Memorial Day at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Trainer D'Amato's Success Long Time in Coming
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- Leagues Seek to Halt New Jersey Sports Bets
- What's Going On Here: Gary Player's Top 10
- F-T October Sale Gains Across Board at Opener
- Researchers Examine Fatal Lumbar Vertebral Fractures
- Sweet Reason Set for BC Filly and Mare Sprint
- Rockingham Park Selling Most of Stable Area
- Claimer Seeking the Sherif Reaches BC Sprint
- Jockeys' Guild, RTCA Set Up Saez Family Fund