Southern California-based jockey Joe Steiner has announced his retirement. The 41-year-old native of Renton, Wash., has not ridden since April of last year after suffering an injury in a spill at Santa Anita.
Mike Pegram's Danthebluegrassman pressed the pace, dueled with Cappuchino through the stretch, and won a head bob at the wire to earn a victory in Saturday's $125,000 Golden Gate Derby. The 3-year-old son of Pioneering completed the 1 1/16-mile Golden Gate Fields feature in 1:43.87 on a track labeled "good."
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Get your Scorecard, the Travers Trail Has Begun
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint