Southern California-based jockey Joe Steiner has announced his retirement. The 41-year-old native of Renton, Wash., has not ridden since April of last year after suffering an injury in a spill at Santa Anita.
Mike Pegram's Danthebluegrassman pressed the pace, dueled with Cappuchino through the stretch, and won a head bob at the wire to earn a victory in Saturday's $125,000 Golden Gate Derby. The 3-year-old son of Pioneering completed the 1 1/16-mile Golden Gate Fields feature in 1:43.87 on a track labeled "good."
Most Popular Stories
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Tepin Back to Brilliant in Saratoga Work
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- 'Cleopatra' in Gate Drill for Debutante
- Flatter Colt Tops OBS Select Yearling Session
- 'Chrome,' Beholder Weighing Options after PC
- Southern CA Tracks, TOC Have Dates Agreement
- Gran Villano is 75th Scat Daddy Stakes Winner
- Six Stakes Fill NY Showcase Day
- Songbird a Perfect 10 After Easy Alabama Win