Steelaninch and Star Vega, the Jim Cassidy-trained duo who swept the La Puente and Providencia, respectively, last weekend at Santa Anita will likely make their next starts during the upcoming Hollywood Park meeting, Cassidy said.
Trainer James Cassidy had his patience rewarded Saturday when British import Steelaninch, under jockey Victor Espinoza, won the $150,000 La Puente Stakes on the Santa Anita turf by a nose over 11-10 favorite Singletary, who was ridden by David Flores.
Trainer Jim Cassidy expects English-bred Steelaninch to show more speed in Saturday's $150,000 La Puente Stakes at Santa Anita.
Singletary, named after the ex Chicago Bears linebacker, flattened his opposition Friday with a 2 1/2-length victory in the $81,100 Academy Road Stakes for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Park.
Fourteen 3-year-olds, including a pair of also-eligibles, have been entered for Sunday's $100,000 Baldwin Stakes (gr. IIIT) at 6 1/2 furlongs on turf at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Wicked Strong to Sit Out Rest of Year
- Wise Dan Faces Stiff Shadwell Turf Mile Test
- Hashtag Bourbon Tough in Breeders' Futurity
- Better Lucky Seeks to Repeat in First Lady
- Atreides Gets Distance Test in Indiana Derby
- Small Foal Crops Will Challenge Racing
- Marchman Returns From Short Rest in Woodford
- TCA Draws Balanced Field of Distaff Sprinters
- Lenny's Place - Episode 2
- New Meet, New Racing Surface