The lone graded stakes winner in the field, Mr. and Mrs. William K. Warren's Charitable Man will continue on his comeback trail when lining up for the $200,000 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) May 9 at Belmont Park.
Quality Road turned back a bid from even-money favorite Dunkirk in upper stretch and drew away for a sensational 1 3/4-length victory in the $750,000 Florida Derby (gr. I) March 28 at Gulfstream Park. The son of Elusive Quality set a new 1 1/8-mile course record in 1:47.72.
Jason, Tom, Evan, and the Wizard take on the Florida Derby (gr. I) at Gulfstream Park on March 28. Watch Video
Two of the last three Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winners came out of the Florida Derby (gr. I), and based on the talent that will go to post in this year's edition of Gulfstream Park's signature event, it would not be surprising to see a third go on to wear the roses.
WinStar Farm's 3-year-old Al Khali rallied through the stretch for a three-quarter length victory under John Velazquez in a 1 1/8 mile allowance test March 6 at Gulfstream Park, moving him up in trainer Todd Pletcher's arsenal of Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) candidates.
With Big Drama sitting this one out, the $150,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park Jan. 31 will highlight the return of graded stakes winners Beethoven and West Side Bernie, as well as a gate full of new 3-year-old prospects.
Two rocket ships will be launched at Gulfstream Park on Thursday, and don't be surprised if a few of the passengers wind up landing in Louisville on the first Saturday in May.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- TCA to Present Awards of Merit
- New York Sanctions Mott for Drug Overages
- 'Chrome' Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- Catastrophic Equine Injuries' Impact on Jockey Injuries
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title
- Flashy Debut for Royal Delta Half Brother
- NYRA Unveils 10-Race Claiming Series
- Desormeaux Sets Derby Path for Texas Red
- Wildcat Red Sidelined with Back Muscle Pull