The lone graded stakes winner in the field, Mr. and Mrs. William K. Warren's Charitable Man will continue on his comeback trail when lining up for the $200,000 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) May 9 at Belmont Park.
Quality Road turned back a bid from even-money favorite Dunkirk in upper stretch and drew away for a sensational 1 3/4-length victory in the $750,000 Florida Derby (gr. I) March 28 at Gulfstream Park. The son of Elusive Quality set a new 1 1/8-mile course record in 1:47.72.
Jason, Tom, Evan, and the Wizard take on the Florida Derby (gr. I) at Gulfstream Park on March 28. Watch Video
Two of the last three Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winners came out of the Florida Derby (gr. I), and based on the talent that will go to post in this year's edition of Gulfstream Park's signature event, it would not be surprising to see a third go on to wear the roses.
WinStar Farm's 3-year-old Al Khali rallied through the stretch for a three-quarter length victory under John Velazquez in a 1 1/8 mile allowance test March 6 at Gulfstream Park, moving him up in trainer Todd Pletcher's arsenal of Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) candidates.
With Big Drama sitting this one out, the $150,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park Jan. 31 will highlight the return of graded stakes winners Beethoven and West Side Bernie, as well as a gate full of new 3-year-old prospects.
Two rocket ships will be launched at Gulfstream Park on Thursday, and don't be surprised if a few of the passengers wind up landing in Louisville on the first Saturday in May.
Most Popular Stories
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Which Game On Dude Will Show Up in Classic?
- Obviously Targets Del Mar Mile Three-Peat
- Shared Belief Favored in Pacific Classic
- CHRB Amends Fee Scale for Losing Jockeys
- Tapestry Upsets Taghrooda in Yorkshire Oaks
- Big Blue Kitten Back in Jersey's Cliff Hanger
- TVG to Have Enhanced Pacific Classic Coverage
- Champion Benny the Bull to Bridlewood in 2015
- Seaway Draws Well-Balanced Field of 11