The starting gate will always be a dangerous place, but thanks to Bob Duncan and Roy Williamson, it looks a little safer going into the meet's final week.
Welcome to Derby Week, or week 11 of the "Starting Gate," one person's look at this year's Kentucky Derby lineup. As we approach Wednesday, entry day, this how we would handicap the top 20 contenders for the May 5 Run for the Roses. Actual entry into America's greatest race is reliant on graded stakes earnings -- this lineup is based on some speculation, past performances, and potential performance on Saturday.
The Ohio State Racing Commission has ordered racetracks to ensure regular maintenance is performed on starting gates in the wake of a malfunction that resulted in the $100,000 Queen City Oaks at River Downs being called a "no contest."
The executive director of the Ohio State Racing Commission has recommended the July 22 Queen City Oaks, marred by a starting gate malfunction that delayed the start for seven 3-year-olds fillies in a field of 12, be rerun Aug. 13 at River Downs.
Philadelphia Park has accepted the resignation of its longtime starter, Russell Downes, in the wake of another starting gate miscue that occurred Oct. 30 at the Bensalem Township, Pa., racetrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Favored in Pacific Classic
- Vergara Wins Inaugural Apprentice Competition
- Maryland THA Elects 15 Directors
- Tapestry Upsets Taghrooda in Yorkshire Oaks
- Travers Favorite Bayern Arrives at Saratoga
- King's Bishop: Coup de Grace vs. Wildcat Red
- Heated Rivalry Rekindled in Del Mar Handicap
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Shared Belief Looking to Retain His Throne
- Better Lucky Sticks With Dirt for Ballerina