As a new year begins and live racing continues at Aqueduct Racetrack, a host of capital improvements are under way at Belmont Park in preparation for the upcoming spring meet. Live racing returns to Belmont April 29.
Gulfstream Park is beginning a large and quick project to build stalls with the goal of resolving a potential "homeless horses" crisis in South Florida.
The Maryland Jockey Club is moving forward with some capital improvement projects it outlined to the Maryland Racing Commission earlier this year.
Gulfstream Park said Sept. 30 it has started construction of a $4 million structure with 380 new stalls on the south side of racetrack property.
A leading Thoroughbred owner ejected from Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course has sold many of his horses and said he "doesn't mind getting out" of the business given the politics.
- By Tom LaMarra
River Downs in Ohio has reconsidered its position and allotted stalls to several prominent horsemen who were told they wouldn't get them for the meet that begins April 9.
Thistledown is scheduled to finish construction on five new barns on Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Creator, Gun Runner Work in Saratoga
- Gift Box, Connect, Swipe Entered in Curlin
- NY Alters Rules on Claims, Some Medications
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- Long On Value Too Tough in Lucky Coin Stakes