The Florida HBPA said Jan. 1 Gulfstream Park has agreed to continue to pay for stall rent through the end of February for Calder Casino & Race Course-stabled horses that race at Gulfstream.
Gulfstream Park Racing & Casino will assist horsemen stabled at Calder Casino & Race Course by paying the stall rent of horses who participate at its meet during the month of December.
A plan to start charging rent for stalls during the non-racing season at Calder is leading to concerns among horsemen that some owners might permanently ship horses out of Florida and that some smaller stables could close.
In an announcement Sept. 28, Calder Casino & Race Course said that effective Dec. 1, 2012, it will charge a stabling fee of $10 per stall per day during its off-season months when it does not have live racing.
A contract dispute threatens full-card simulcasts and could lead to daily stall rent and payments to keep the racetrack open for training effective Jan. 1 at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort in West Virginia.
- By Tom LaMarra
Thoroughbred racing at Mountaineer Race Track & Gaming Resort is on hold until at least Jan. 19 while track officials try to reach a new five-year contract with the Mountaineer Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association. Meanwhile, the track has offered to keep its stable are open with certain conditions, but the HBPA has balked.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Yorkiepoo Princess Scores Again at Aqueduct
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Honorable Duty Holds Strong in Mineshaft Handicap
- Unified Edges Mind Your Biscuits in GP Sprint
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death