Oaklawn Park has increased purses on 13 of its 32 stakes planned for 2013, including a majority of the 3-year-old stakes races, and has lengthened the Feb. 18 Southwest Stakes (gr. III) from one mile to 1 1/16 miles.
The New York Racing Association, which announced it would cut $4.3 million in stakes purses from last year, has slashed around $1.4 million from its stakes program for the upcoming Belmont and Saratoga meets.
For the second time in as many years, Suffolk Downs has increased the minimum purses for stakes. And in another Massachusetts development, the Brockton Fair has expressed an interest in live racing once again.
Most Popular Stories
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- Breeders Sales Co. Expects Strong Auction
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Divine Oath Needs Kent to Get Back on Track
- Study Compares Abdominal Bandage Pressure, Support
- Keeneland September Sale Gains Continue
- Somber Mood Hangs Over Suffolk Downs
- Fair Grounds to Withhold Millions from Purses
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Is PA Derby Best Spot for 'Chrome'?