Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum's L'Oiseau d'Argent won the $100,000 Sussex Handicap in gate-to-wire fashion at Delaware Park Saturday.
Mansell Stables' Quest Star will attempt his third straight win in the Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT) Saturday at Gulfstream Park. The 1 1/2 mile-event, which drew a field of eight, is one of five stakes races on the Florida Derby (gr. I) card.
Touch of the Blues, the venerable 6-year-old horse trained by Neil Drysdale, headlines Saturday's Shadwell Turf Mile (gr. IT) at Keeneland. Saturday marks day two of the meets Fallstars Weekend with a host of races with World Thoroughbred Championships implications.
The Keeneland Foundation has agreed to match all owner contributions to the Race For Education for horses running at the Keeneland 2003 Fall Meet (up to $10,000).
William Clifton Jr.'s Legislator put in a sustained rally to run down favorite Stage Call to win the Crown Royal American Turf (gr. IIIT) in the race before the Kentucky Oaks at Churchill Downs. The $100,000-added race was for 3-year-olds at 1 1/16 miles on the turf.
One of the week's most competitive races could be Friday's Crown Royal American Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT). The $100,000, 1 1/16-mile event has lured a field of 10 sophomores to Churchill Downs.
Koji Maeda's Triple Crown nominee Sunday Break gets his prep for the April 13 Wood Memorial (gr. I) when he faces vie other 3-year-olds in a 1 1/8-mile allowance test at Aqueduct on Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Trainer Stuart Earns Career Victory 1,000