St. Elias Stable and West Point Thoroughbreds' Ring Weekend, who has developed nicely into a solid turf runner, is the morning-line favorite for the $200,000 Twilight Derby (gr. IIT) Oct. 31 at Santa Anita Park.
Ring Weekend appears to have found a home on the grass after taking the $300,000 Saranac Stakes (gr. IIIT) by 2 3/4 lengths over longshot Smooth Daddy in the final stakes of the 2014 season at Saratoga Race Course Sept. 1.
Tampa Bay Derby (gr. II) winner Ring Weekend satisfied his connections with a drill at Fair Hill Training Center in Maryland April 25 and will move on to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
St. Elias Stable and West Point Thoroughbreds' Ring Weekend sprang a 14-1 upset of the $350,000 Tampa Bay Derby (gr. II) March 8 at Tampa Bay Downs, well clear of Vinceremos in an impressively speedy gate-to-wire score.
Freedom Child turned in his first breeze since romping in the Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) earlier this month, covering five furlongs over the Belmont Park main track May 27 in a sharp :59.87.
Everything finally went right for Freedom Child May 11 at Belmont Park. Romping in the slop by 13 1/4 lengths to take the $200,000 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II), he punched his ticket to the June 8 Belmont (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Tacticus Euthanized After Workout Breakdown
- Golden Horn Impressive in Arc de Triomphe
- Gamble's Ghost Scores in Mazarine Stakes
- Make Believe Returns to Longchamp, Wins Foret
- Covert Love Guts Out Prix de l'Opera Victory
- Ballydoyle, Ultra Capture Juvenile Stakes
- Tonalist Takes Jockey Club Gold Cup With Ease
- Shadwell: Grand Arch Holds Over The Pizza Man
- American Pharoah Drills at Santa Anita for BC
- Wild Dude Rallies Late to Claim SA Sprint