Amorama avoided a traffic jam in the stretch run of Saturday's $400,000 John C. Mabee Handicap (gr. IT) by taking a wide route to prevail by a head over Island Fashion. It was her second grade I win in two lifetime starts on the Del Mar turf course.
Sauvage, a French-bred filly making her second start in New York, found room at the rail to rally to an upset Sunday in the $150,000 Sheepshead Bay Handicap (gr. IIT) for fillies and mares at 11 furlongs on the turf.
Irish-bred De Sica tagged favored Ramonti in the final strides to win Sunday's Derby Italiano (Ity-I) by a head at Capannelle.
Crafty rider Felipe Martinez milked an easy lead with Irish-bred Whilly and had just enough left to hold off Puppeteer in the $150,000 San Marcos Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 1/4 miles on the Santa Anita Park turf Saturday.
Irish-bred Champion Lodge took advantage of Santa Anita's yielding turf course Saturday, coming from off the pace to deliver a sharp six-length upset in the $250,000 San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT).
Ten-year-old stallion Sri Pekan, who stood at Coolmore Stud in Ireland, has been sold to the Turkish Jockey Club for stallion duty at the Izmit National Stud.
Dora Carrington, sent off at 12-1 odds, displayed a closing kick to upset Enthused and seven other fillies in Tuesday's Cherry Hinton Stakes at Newmarket, England.
Most Popular Stories
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- First Foal for Circumference is a Filly
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Slimmed Down Racing May Be Finding Its Footing
- Bahamian Squall's First Foal is a Colt