George E. Chase, Sr., one of the founders of the Atlanta Steeplechase, died Sept. 16 of congestive heart failure in Gordonsville, Va., where he moved in 2010. He was 87 years old.
Leo Azpurua Sr.'s 3-year-old Manicero, a winner of four consecutive starts, appears likely to try and run his streak to five this weekend in the $150,000, seven-furlong Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park.
The first foal by grade I winner Monba was born Feb. 15 at Michael Jester's Penn Ridge Farms near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Xtra Heat was extra special in the $150,000 Endine Stakes (gr. III) at Delaware Park Saturday.
Xtra Heat and Willa On The Move each worked a half-mile at Laurel Park Monday morning in preparation for 'Summit of Speed' stakes at Calder Race Course on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- A Look Back: Miesque's Second Mile Victory
- Beholder, 'Lord' Likely to Retire After BC
- Breeders' Cup Race Order, Wagering Options
- Drosselmeyer to Remain in Brazil
- Bernardini Rules Fasig-Tipton Final Session
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Noble Bird Heads Field of Eight in Fayette