George E. Chase, Sr., one of the founders of the Atlanta Steeplechase, died Sept. 16 of congestive heart failure in Gordonsville, Va., where he moved in 2010. He was 87 years old.
Leo Azpurua Sr.'s 3-year-old Manicero, a winner of four consecutive starts, appears likely to try and run his streak to five this weekend in the $150,000, seven-furlong Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park.
The first foal by grade I winner Monba was born Feb. 15 at Michael Jester's Penn Ridge Farms near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Xtra Heat was extra special in the $150,000 Endine Stakes (gr. III) at Delaware Park Saturday.
Xtra Heat and Willa On The Move each worked a half-mile at Laurel Park Monday morning in preparation for 'Summit of Speed' stakes at Calder Race Course on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Ancient Secret Scores in Lake George
- After 35 Years, Jockey Joe Steiner Retires
- Sweet Loretta Powers to Schuylerville Win
- Songbird Logs First Gallop at Saratoga
- McCarthy, Trainer of General Quarters, Dies
- Songbird Adds Star Power to Sunday's CCA Oaks