Vicarage, a graded stakes winner and grade II stakes-placed, will head to the Republic of Georgia to start his stallion career.
For Dixie, a stakes winner and multiple graded stakes producer, was euthanized July 24 after suffering a ruptured intestine near her stomach.
Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Monarchos will stand the 2008 breeding season at Nuckols Farm near Midway, Ky., it was announced Oct. 12 by owner John Oxley.
Regal Band, dam of 2001 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Monarchos, died April 9 at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital near Lexington.
- By Tom LaMarra
Jim Squires, breeder of Kentucky Derby winner Monarchos, loves the Thoroughbred business but isn't afraid to say it's not in the best of health in Kentucky.
By Jim Squires -- Being both an incurable reformer and a glutton for punishment, it is hard not to be envious of the opportunity Gov. Ernie Fletcher has given his newly constituted Kentucky Horse Racing Authority.
Monarchos (Maria's Mon -- Regal Band, by Dixieland Band) posted his first stakes win in the Florida Derby (gr. I) to remain undefeated this year. The March 10 race was his first attempt in stakes company in five lifetime starts.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment