Harlan C. Abbey, who had a long career as a local sportswriter, newspaper editor, author, and avid horseman, died Sept. 8 at his home in Clarence, N.Y. He was 84.
Graded stakes winner Maybry's Boy, a son of Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) winner Broad Brush, is relocating from New York to E.A. Ranches in Ramona, Calif.
Favorites swept the New York Stallion Series stakes Nov. 14 at Aqueduct as Sportswriter took the $100,000 Thunder Rumble and Sunny Desert overcame a troubled start to win the $100,000 Staten Island for fillies and mares.
Sportswriter will try to win his first NYSS on the dirt when he competes in the $100,000 Thunder Rumble at Aqueduct Racetrack, while Sunny Desert heads the $100,000 Staten Island for females Nov. 14.
Grade III winner Maybry's Boy came through with his initial winner when his son Sportswriter scored at Saratoga Aug. 5 in his first start.
- By Vic Zast
Attendance, handle and Marylou again highlight the third Friday. read blog
Maybry's Boy, victor of the 2002 Spectacular Bid Stakes (gr. III), came through with his first winner when his son Sportswriter scored at Saratoga in his career debut Aug. 5.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Northwest Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Track Maintenance Internships Being Offered
- Ward Joins Water Hay Oats Alliance