HRTV's weekly series analyzing each division of the Breeders' Cup. This episode includes recaps of Mass Cap and the Super Derby, previews of the Jockey Club Gold Cup, the Beldame and Lady's Secret, and much, much more.
The Goodwood Stakes (gr. I), as usual, serves as the main prep race in Southern California for the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) this season. But for the 11 entered in this year's $500,000 renewal Sept. 24, it's also the first test of Santa Anita's new Pro-Ride synthetic racing surface and will go a long way toward determining which contenders move on.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Spirit One's dam, Lavayssiere, retired from racing with scant credentials to be a top mare. She did not have one black type winner in her family as far back as six generations. And yet, here she is today the dam of three stakes winners including Spirit One, who recently took the Arlington Million (gr. I). You have to dig deep to find the source of Spirit One's genetic potential.
French-bred Spirit One, the least accomplished of three European invaders in the Arlington Million (gr. IT), sprinted to an early lead and never relinquished it, eventually holding off favored Archipenko in the final yards to win by three-quarters of a length Aug. 9 at Arlington Park.
Archipenko, who has won stakes events in four different countries in the past 15 months, has been installed as the 2-1 favorite and is one of three formidable European invaders vying for top honors in the 26th running of the Arlington Million (gr. IT) Aug. 9.
Mount Nelson made a dramatic leap from maiden winner to Group 1 victor in just seven days when winning the Criterium International (Fr-I) at Saint-Cloud on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Werther Goes the Distance in Hong Kong
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double