By John Williams -- In the late fall of 1978, the Bee Gees were topping the pop charts with "Stayin' Alive." Sideburns, long hair, and bell bottoms were still cool. Jimmy Carter was in the White House, the Baltimore Colts were still playing football on 33rd St. where they belonged, and the 10th horse to win the Triple Crown arrived to stand at Spendthrift Farm near Lexington.
The odds of a horse becoming a champion are huge. So are the odds of a horse becoming a prominent stallion. Now, imagine the odds of a horse becoming a great champion and a great stallion. Now, take it to its maximum. Imagine the odds of a horse becoming a truly great champion and stallion. It was those odds, which Seattle Slew beat on both the racetrack and at stud in such a commanding way, that made him such a legend.
Most Popular Stories
- Taghrooda Flies to King George Triumph
- Keeneland's Historical Racing Plans Delayed
- Trainer, Jock Team for South African Double
- Dance With Fate's Exercise Rider Has Surgery
- Irish Surf Runs Away in Cougar II Marathon
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Whitney Card's Grade I Races Taking Shape
- LoPresti Unfazed by Slow Move from Wise Dan
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- V. E. Day Gives Lezcano Win 2,000 in Curlin