Prices tumbled at the the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale Feb. 9 in Lexington, following the downward trends that have been seen at other recent auctions. The average price dropped 42.8% while the median price fell 28.6%. A much smaller sale catalog than in 2008 contributed to the 62.9% decline in the gross revenue.
Bear Fan has been installed as the even-money morning-line favorite by Laurel Park handicapper Frank Carulli as the 6-year-old daughter of Pine Bluff attempts to defend her title in Saturday's $200,000 Barbara Fritchie Handicap (gr. II).
Nick Sanna Stable's Smooth Maneuvers stole the $100,000 Anne Arundel Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Laurel Park Saturday, seizing the lead into the first turn and holding it the rest of the way to win by 2 1/2 lengths under jockey Mario Pino.
Longshot Spectacular Moon coasted behind a torrid pace duel, then flew down the center of the stretch to win the $150,000 Astarita Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies by a neck on a sloppy Belmont Park track Sunday.
Undefeated in a pair of starts, the fleet-footed Smokey Glacken puts her unblemished record on the line in Sunday's $150,000 Astarita (gr. II) at Belmont Park. Nine 2-year-old fillies were entered in the 6 ½-furlong sprint.
Most Popular Stories
- Is PA Derby Best Spot for 'Chrome'?
- Keeneland September Sale Sees More Gains
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- No Dice for Massachusetts Racing, Breeding
- What's Going On Here: Solid at the Core
- California Chrome Arrives at Parx Racing
- Suffolk Downs Loses Casino Bid on 3-1 Vote
- Injury Forces Sea The Moon's Retirement
- Is California Chrome Vulnerable in PA Derby?
- 'Gold Hopes to Keep Churchill Record Intact