Jockey Frank Alvarado, known as a strong finisher, displayed his skill while recording his 2,000th career victory Sept. 18 at Golden Gate Fields.
McCann's Mojave, a stakes winner five different years, has been retired from racing because of a tendon injury.
The 2008 running of the $150,000 Berkeley Stakes (gr. III) went much better than last year's for McCann's Mojave, who seized the lead from favored Desert Code at the three-sixteenth pole and rolled to a driving 3 1/2-length win at Golden Gate Fields May 26.
Stakes veteran McCann's Mojave, a grade III winner on Golden Gate Fields' Tapeta Footings surface last November for trainer Steve Specht, tries to do it again in the $150,000 Berkeley Stakes (gr. III) on Memorial Day, May 26, at the Albany track.
The millionaire McCann's Mojave captured the first graded race contested on Golden Gate Field's new Tapeta Footings main track, fighting back along the inside in deep stretch to win the $150,000 All American Stakes (gr. III) Nov. 17.
McCann's Mojave, a 7-year-old horse who has won 10 of his 26 career races and earned more than $1.2 million, towers over a field of eight horses entered in the $100,000 Berkeley Stakes (gr. III) Saturday at Golden Gate Fields.
Graded stakes winner Richly Blended was represented by his first winner when his daughter, Cosmo Nan, won July 26 at Santa Rosa.
Carthage, coming off an upset victory over 2005 Eclipse Award winner Lost in the Fog, is the 120-pound high weight among five entered in Sunday's $125,000 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. III).
Bonfante, making his first start since finishing second in the 2005 California Turf Sprint Championship last Sept. 24, won the 2006 edition of the $100,000 grass stakes for California-bred horses in convincing fashion Saturday at Bay Meadows.
Most Popular Stories
- Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby
- Dortmund Looks to Regain Form in Santana Mile
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Average Spikes at Barretts March Sale
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Trainer, Racing Official Daniel Dufford Dies at 66
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Tequilita Hopes to Go Distance in Gulfstream Oaks
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager