Soviet Problem, 1994 California Horse of the Year and Breeders Cup Sprint (gr. I) runner-up, has been euthanized due to the infirmities of old age at John Harris' farm near Coalinga, Calif.
Trainer Greg Gilchrist, who trained champion sprinter Lost in the Fog, is calling it a career at age 62. The Northern California-based conditioner had a stream of stakes winners for owner Harry Aleo.
Due to downturn in handle at its current meet, Golden Gate Fields is reducing purses by an average of 7.5%, canceling three stakes and reducing the purses of two other stakes, the track announced Feb. 12.
Nopro Blama, the dam of graded stakes winning sprinter Soviet Problem, was euthanized April 12 at Dr. Dede McGehee's Heaven Trees Farm near Lexington.
Most Popular Stories
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Lucayan Well-Spotted in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Records on the Line in Final Native Diver Run
- Bringing Precision to Track Maintenance
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Tournaments Growing Fans and Owners