Soviet Problem, 1994 California Horse of the Year and Breeders Cup Sprint (gr. I) runner-up, has been euthanized due to the infirmities of old age at John Harris' farm near Coalinga, Calif.
Trainer Greg Gilchrist, who trained champion sprinter Lost in the Fog, is calling it a career at age 62. The Northern California-based conditioner had a stream of stakes winners for owner Harry Aleo.
Due to downturn in handle at its current meet, Golden Gate Fields is reducing purses by an average of 7.5%, canceling three stakes and reducing the purses of two other stakes, the track announced Feb. 12.
Nopro Blama, the dam of graded stakes winning sprinter Soviet Problem, was euthanized April 12 at Dr. Dede McGehee's Heaven Trees Farm near Lexington.
Most Popular Stories
- Owner-Breeder Nelson Bunker Hunt Dies
- Report of Mares Bred Shows Modest Increase
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Goldencents Seeks Second Dirt Mile Victory
- Strong Foreign Invasion for Juvenile Turf
- Close Hatches, Untapable Take Aim at Distaff
- Hollendorfer: Shared Belief Has 'Great' Work
- O'Neill and Racing's Slow Regulatory Process
- Juvenile Fillies Turf Pre-Entries Strong
- BC Juvenile Fillies Has Wide-Open Look